Abby Reider

Name: Abigail Reider (Abby)
E-mail: abigail.reider@gmail.com
Why I want to be part of Envirolution:
I truly believe in the potential of our generation and its ability to end global warming and make sure that this planet is around in all its beauty and wonder for many many future generations. We actually already have so much of the technology—what we need is commitment, organization, leadership, and support. I think green business is fantastic because it shows that there is an economic value in going green, thereby getting people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in the environment involved. Efficiency is key to our mission—making any organization's business model environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable saves so much time, money, and energy. All in all, I believe it is our generation's responsibility to use our skills to save this planet for future generations, and I am motivated to work with people who share my ideology and resolve.
What I can contribute to Envirolution:
Above all – Commitment and energy. But also, I am currently a West Coaster, and Envirolution is in full force out here. There are so so so many people committed to it. It is truly inspiring. From companies working on green energy, green building/architecture, or sustainable consumer goods to nonprofits lobbying for environmental reforms and increasing awareness, I have been blown away by the green movement's devotees here in Northern Cali. Besides that, I also work for Global Exchange (globalexchange.org), an awesome environmental and human rights nonprofit based in San Fran. Two summers ago I helped out with my boss's book, Building the Green Economy, which was just published. It's about people in the US who have won local environmental victories for their communities and the lessons we can learn from them. I learned about a mother in Maine who organized a movement to make the paper company in her town stop pouring sludge into the river where her son swam everyday; a Republican mayor in Indiana who is switching the gas stations in his town to biodiesel because his constituents are tired of feeling dependent on foreign oil; a logger in Oregon who realized it was in his company's best interest to make its methods more sustainable in order to ensure that his company would be around in ten years; and so many more. These people are not your everyday treehugger, yet they are making vital societal contributions in the Envirolutionist spirit. I hope that the inspiration I gain from these people and from other fellow Envirolutionists will ignite others to educate and inspire themselves, take action, create change, and in turn inspire others.
What I am currently working on for Envirolution:
I'm doing some research, editing some of our documents, focusing on grant writing, organizing stuff in general, spreading the Envirolution love, and just helping out in any way I can. I have been learning so so much from other people involved in Envirolution.
What I am into, besides Envirolution:
People, my friends, cali, tahoe, getting better at snowboarding, the beach, camping, traveling, spanish, latin america,
Suggested article, website, book:
Sustainablebusiness.com SVN.org
GreenFestivals.org BuilditGreen.org
coopamerica.org Calvert.org
GreenBiz.com treehugger.com WRI.org
Back to the Top











0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home